Monday, April 11, 2016

Home again Home Jiggity Jig.

After the bootcamp on Sunday it was time to head back to London. We were going to have a day and a half there and then get back on a plane home.

We took a train back from Leeds to London.











The day we were traveling was the day of the World Cup final. Some of the London Rollergirls met us at a bar where we could have some drinks and watch the match. As usual, things got a bit silly... There was singing and faux tattoos. We were sitting at a bench outside of the bar--the bar itself was too crowded. A few of us starting talking to a couple who came up and were asking us about roller derby.

We ended the night at another bar where we ordered pizza and had a couple more drinks. At the end of the night we called cabs, or I guess it was more a car service like Uber. I got into the cab with my Gotham roommate and the cab driver told us the ride was going to be double what we had previously been told. So we started getting into it with him about it. Because it was a car service he'd been given an address, but it wasn't ours. We were in a cab that had been assigned to someone else. So then the cab driver refused to take us until we paid in advance. Well, that set off a whole lot of cursing on my roommate's part. We ended up getting out of the cab. And there we were in the middle of the street with our bags at like 2am. Fortunately a cab drove by and picked us up and we made it safe and sound to the house we were staying.

Next crisis--I couldn't figure out how to flush the toilet!  Seriously. I'm not a genius, but I generally do not have problems understanding the dynamics of toilet flushing. It was a little bit embarrassing, but I found out I wasn't alone. Not only couldn't my roommate figure out the toilet, I found out this was the case at other host houses as well.

The next day started a little later than I'd hoped. We met up with other team members and one of the London Rollergirls on the South Bank. We walked along the river looking for some place to eat. We ended up at a restaurant near this outdoor market with a bunch of food stalls. A couple of other people met us there.




Then we made our way up to Camden. On the trip up we had a "showtime" moment on the tube. We pretended to spin around on poles and stuff, and sang "Oh, Happy Day" from Sister Act II. We walked around Camden Markets. There was a really cute dress that I wanted to buy. We were going to go back for it on our way out but when we were heading out the stalls were closed.

We then met up a bunch of the London Rollergirls at a bar with a great backyard patio. We had a really good time talking to all of them and just hanging out together.














There was definitely not enough time to hang out with the team and go to all the cool things in London--Hampstead Heath, shopping on Oxford St., Covent Garden, Portobello Road, or any of the musuems.


We had to get up bright and early for the plane the next day. I almost got bumped from my flight and would have had an opportunity for one more day in London, but I turned out that everything "worked out" and I was able to get home as scheduled.

I am already looking forward to getting back as soon as possible. Even though there have been several trips there, I can't wait to go back. I know that every visit will bring some place new to discover. And just beautiful places to see. When I travel alone I can go where I want, walk as quickly or slowly as I want. I don't feel bad stopping whenever I want to take pictures. When I travel with others I get to see cities through someone else's eyes. And see familiar places in a new light. I get to talk to people about the sights and their impressions. And I have to admit that there is something appealing to me about being a sort of tour guide to friends. And sharing the experience with someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment